The HSE - Living well Programmes
What is the Living Well Programme?
Living Well is a free group self-management programme. Self-management is what a person does every day to manage their long-term health condition. This may include making choices to improve your health such as becoming more active, eating more healthily and stopping smoking. It may also include more complex tasks such as taking medication, monitoring your symptoms, coping with the emotional aspects of the condition and communicating with healthcare professionals.
Living with a long-term health condition can be challenging, and this programme supports you to develop the skills which will help you to live well with a long-term health condition. The Living Well programme has proven to be effective in helping people to manage their health conditions better. Watch this video to learn more.
Living Well has been provided in Ireland for many years under a variety of names including: ‘Quality of Life’ (Donegal), ‘Self Care to Wellness’ (Mayo & Roscommon), ‘Better Health Better Living’ (Beaumont Hospital) and Living Well with Arthritis (Arthritis Ireland) to name a few.
Living Well Programme
- Living Well is a free group programme which runs online for 6 weeks. There is one workshop each week which lasts 2.5 hours.
- Two trained leaders run the workshops each week. At least one of the leaders lives with a long-term health condition.
- People taking part in the workshops may have the same health condition as you. Others will have different health conditions. There will be up to 12 people taking part in the group.
- The workshops are delivered in a relaxed and friendly way so that all participants can learn from each other. You can also share experiences of living with your condition.
- Each person who takes part gets a book about self-management.
Who this programme is for
Living Well is for adults 18 years and over.
It is suitable for you if you are:
- living with one or more long-term health conditions read a list of examples)
- caring for someone with a long-term health condition
Living Well is not suitable for people with significant memory or learning difficulties.
What is covered each week
A key part of Living Well is setting goals that you want to achieve. Each week you learn how to reach these goals by making an action plan. You also get support from the group to problem solve.
In addition, the following are covered over the 6 weeks:
- Using your mind to manage symptoms
- Fatigue and getting a good night’s sleep
- Introduction to action plans
- Dealing with difficult emotions
- Physical activity, exercise, preventing falls
- Decision making
- Pain management
- Healthy eating
- Breathing techniques
- Reading food labels
- Communicating skills
- Medication management
- Positive thinking, dealing with low mood and feelings of depression
- Making informed treatment decisions
- Planning for the future
For more information and to register Click HERE